Position: Temporary Canvasser
- Location: [Birmingham]
- Campaign: [People’s Budget Birmingham]
- Reports to: [PBB Steering Committee]
- Supervises: [n/a]
- Wages: [$22/hr, non-negotiable]
- Exempt Status: [25 hour a week, contract – Ending July 15th]
The Canvasser is responsible for phone canvassing, door-to-door canvassing, volunteer support, and data entry support for People’s Budget Birmingham’s 2022 municipal budget campaign. Having generative conversations with Birmingham constituents, supporting volunteer canvassers, and keeping accurate record of canvassing conversations will be key functions of this role.
At PBB, we are working to develop canvassers that can build relationships with Birmingham constituents, practice deep canvassing and popular education methodologies, and deepen their knowledge of data tracking and tools. The majority of this canvasser’s time will be spent canvassing, phone banking, supporting volunteer canvassers, and keeping good data. This is a canvassing position, so the canvasser should expect to work during the week and weekends.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Meet daily and weekly phone and door canvassing goals set by the PBB steering committee
- Host and lead weekly volunteer canvas launches
- Keep detailed written records of canvassing conversations
- Collaborate on canvas script review and constituent targeting priorities
- Collaborate with PBB steering committee members to recruit, retain, and train volunteer phone and door canvassers
Skills and Qualifications
- Interest in canvassing, issue-based organizing, and volunteer management.
- Political campaign, canvassing, and/or community organizing experience preferred.
- Interest in recruiting, training, and developing skills of volunteers.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills & abilities.
- Deep and demonstrated commitment to racial and economic justice and pre-existing commitment to improving the material conditions of our communities.
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds, one-on-one and in a group.
- Belief in leadership development of self and others and that growth relies on an individual’s ability to own important projects and achieve success for themselves.
- Ability to work independently in a dynamic community setting.
- Preference to those with reliable transportation (i.e. able to get to canvas launch sites and door to door reliably).
- Preference to those with reliable communication (i.e. has reliable access to communication for phone banking, and communication with campaign organizers and volunteers).
- Experience (or interest in) using spreadsheets, VAN, and CRM systems.
Wages & Benefits:
- Strict adherence to a maximum of 25 hours a week
- $60/week travel and phone stipend
How To Apply
People’s Budget Birmingham is a coalition focused on giving constituents a say in how the city spends their tax dollars.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ~ COMMITTED TO A DIVERSE WORKPLACE
SWEET Alabama, fiscal sponsor of People’s Budget Birmingham, is an aggressive advocate of affirmative action and welcomes applications from everyone, particularly from people of color; women; LGBTQ people; immigrants or refugees; people with disabilities; and people from low- or moderate-income backgrounds.